Tuesday, August 12, 2008

CWTO - Conversations with the oldies.

Conversations with the oldies.

Part 1: Dinner conversation with Ah-Nag-Mum (ANM). We spoke about driving lessons and tests and the interesting part came when ANM spoke about her test. The conversation went something like this:

ANM: When I was waiting for the light to turn green, a bus pulled up beside me. I was rather afraid, I was shaking and the engine nearly stalled. I made some mistakes as well. Up till today, I am still wondering how I managed to pass it. You don't have to be afraid ok, just go ahead and do your best.
Me: But daddy said you bribed the guy to let you pass. (I was made to believe that. Even my aunties say that. Until this conversation. ANM hasn't drove after the test. And I begin to question myself why Stay-Home-Dad (SHD) married a princess who doesnt know how to cook and do household chores until they got together. Love is blind, they say. Or maybe my elder brother forced them to.)
ANM: NO!! I didnt bribe the guy. I think it was because of our conversation we had in the car. Last time I was working with PSA (Port of Singapore Authority) and the guy was a part time tester. So he was asking me what I did for a living and when he found out that I was with PSA, he seemed more and more interested as his other job involved searching for cargo space. He asked me for a discount and I said the next time he goes to PSA, he can come look for me and I'll give him a discount. All this time I was smiling when I was talking to him. But the truth is, I didn't work at the counter, I worked at the back office.
Me: So you lied to him?!
ANM: Ya. (very non-chalantly)
Me: And you didnt see him after that?
ANM: No. (same attitude)
Me: Huh. (ANM knows how to play the game. Man, she does)

I realised that in some ways, ANM and I are quite alike, although I hate to admit it. We use our charms to get things done our way. It's a gift, I would say. God knows how many aunties I have killed. Bigger scoops of ice cream, cutting queues subtly, freebies!, etc. Yeah, yeah, too bad for you.

Part2: Lunch conversation with SHD while watching the Olympic Games in the living room. He made soup and rice, and finished his portion first. Sounds unappetizing but the soup had everything in it! He makes good soups too.

SHD: The vegetables are at the bottom of the bowl.
Me: The rice is cold. (blatantly and mercilessly. But it was more of my fault, I woke up at 130pm. I adopted the rice on spoon, dunk in soup method.)
SHD: Put the rice in your soup.
Me: Okay.
SHD: The vegetables are at the bottom of the bowl. Eat your rice with your soup, then it won't be cold.
Me: Yessss...
SHD: Don't you want some soy sauce in your soup? Earlier on, I put all my rice into the soup.
Me: Nooooo. (By then, i was wearing this expression. -_________-)
SHD: You sure you don't want any sauce?
Me: Noooooooooooooooooo.. Would you like to repeat anything else? (coldly but jokingly)

Well, I was very much annoyed by his second "rice in soup" statement. SHD says that,"They say as people get older, they tend to repeat their sentences." By that much?! In that case, SHD is aging rather quickly. At the rate he is repeating stuff, he must be 238yrs old!

Part3: Television conversation with ANM in her room. My cousin from England called to check on my flight details. Shortly before that, she spoke to ANM. I was in her room still when my cousin hung up, wanting to spend some time with her while blogging. SHD was dozing off already.

ANM: What do you think she'll want from Singapore?
Me: Mooncakes and instant porridge.
ANM: Hmm.. Maybe I should go with you to England in September.
Me: huh (keeping my voice low, while SHD rescues me)
SHD: Go for what?! (sounding irritated, because she had so many holidays this year)
Me (hoping to add more firepower): Ya loh, you went for so many holidays already. You have alot of money meh?
ANM to SHD: I want to go without you la! Want to go with my son!
Me: HUH! But I want to go alone! Why dont you go next time?
ANM: WWWHhhhHHhyyyyyYyyYyy (incredibly irksome tone, like some bimbo. The type that I truly loathe.)
Me: Ok, end of conversation. (picking up my laptop and exiting her room with lightning speed)
ANM: WWWaaaaaAaAAAiiittttt.. (arrrrrghghghghghghghg)
Me: What.
ANM: But I want to go and see her newborn.
Me: Another time la, when he's older. My ticket's free, yours isn't. Got to go. Good night. (quick escape.)

I just want a long holiday without my parents, especially not with ANM! One month more to England!

No comments: